Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: TCP port 7 traffic from DoubleClick

From: "C. Harald Koch" <chk () pobox com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 19:11:33 -0400

In message <990601185533.SAA21008 () gateway mikon com>, Greg Nowicki writes:
My firewall has been logging a persistent stream of TCP connection attempts
to port 7 (echo) from six hosts belonging to DoubleClick.  I would like to
know if anyone else on the list has observed this?

Here's a message discussing the issue, rumoured to be from the source:

--
Harald Koch <chk () pobox com>
--- Begin Message --- From: "Raymond D. Mereniuk" <Raymond () fbn bc ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:52:24 -0800
Followed up on this and received the following response this
morning from the folks responsible.

Dear Sir,

        We are currently using the product GlobalDispatch from Resonate Inc.
for our Wide Area  Data Distribution.  Please see letter below for a detail explaination on
this product.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Alex Ng
Doubleclick
--------------------

Hello Sir,

Alex at Doubleclick asked us to work with you regarding this ticket.

We have reason to believe that the reports you've received regarding
these three machines being compromised is a misunderstanding as a result
of our enterprise traffic management software: Global Dispatch.  Global
Dispatch is a WAN-based scheduler that makes it easy to place content
close to geographically dispersed users and and intelligently directs
requests to the best-suited Point of Presence (POP).

In the course of determining the best suited POP, Global Dispatch preforms a
latency measurement.  This latency measurement is done by making a
connection  to the client DNS server on TCP port 7 and then dropping the connection.
After the latency measurement has been done, the latency values are cached, and
the IP of the most responsive POP is returned to the requesting machine.

I hope this help clear up the confusion. We are looking into other ways to
preform this latency mesurment, and hope we have not caused you any
inconvenience.

--
Resonate Technical Support <support () resonate com>
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Resonate, Inc.
        465 Fairchild Drive
        Suite 115
        Mountain View, CA 94040

        Main Phone   650 967.6500
        Fax          650 967.6561
        Support Line 650 967.4800

Virtually

Raymond D. Mereniuk
Raymond () fbn bc ca
"The Ultimate Enterprise Security Experts"
http://www.fbn.bc.ca/sysecurt.html

--- End Message ---