Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Y2K trojans, and outsourcing...

From: "Henry" <hsieff () orthodon com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 02:13:14 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Shappard, Richard, A (Rich) <rashappard () att com>
To: firewall-wizards () nfr net <firewall-wizards () nfr net>
Date: Sunday, July 18, 1999 3:19 PM
Subject: RE: Y2K trojans, and outsourcing...

The only Trojans that the reporters at NBC know anything about come in
foil
packages.  If you rely on the lamestream media for your technology news
you're in deep trouble.

Did they happen to provide any references to this rumor?

Saw the bit they did;  essentially its a problem of insufficient background
checks for the code crunchers who have been brought in. No exploits have
been found so far, but they had a few fairly respectable professionals
(including someone from l0pht) talking about how they SHOULD'VE been more
careful.

I would have to agree, although I think as usual the media is jumping on the
glamourous hacker chic bandwagon on this one.

The $1 billion figure was a complete "guestimate", and as I said, no one's
actually discovered a trojan or a backdoor.  However, I know of a few
companies where consultants have been hired without the sort of background
checks you would normally give for people who get to directly handle code.
If a company has a decent security policy in place to begin with, it really
shouldn't be a problem.

--
Henry Sieff
Network Administrator