Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Secure Faxing

From: Richard Reiner <rreiner () fscinternet com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 08:32:36 -0500

     I know this is off the subject, but does anybody know of a product
     that allows Secure Faxing. I'm not real comfortable with the idea of
     users hanging modems off their desk and circumventing the firewall

There are many ways of doing this -- you can place a Cisco terminal server
in a DMZ and allow users to connect out to it via the Dialout Utility
(which simulates a COM port, and so can be used by most standard Wintel fax
and serial comms software); or you can operate a network fax server (either
on the trusted network or in a DMZ, as policy dictates) and allow users to
connect to it (the free HylaFax system does well in this role).