Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

using raptor as a choke router

From: mjd () interaxon gr
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:54:54 +0200

Hi all

I have been reading up on firewalls and from what i can see it is not
recommended to mix an internal choke router with a bastion host (aka
application proxy.. or whatever).  this i can understand no probs.

However, I then look at the market and see all these "boxed" firewall
products, which as I understand it, work as packet filters and proxys.  As
an example I can use Raptor.  So what is the use of these products ?

For example, if I have a network which I connect to the internet using a
router (as an aside does anybody have any warnings about using a motorola
6520?) and i want a dmz to put in my smtp relay and dns proxy plus a web
server is it wise to use something like Raptor to both act as the internal
choke router and proxy?  and if it aint .. like the books say, why the hell
do they sell such stuff which can do both?  I mean, if it is a bad thing to
combine both then why should I buy something which I wont fully use ?  I am
confuzzed !

now I know I mention Raptor but there are a plethora of similar boxed
products out there..

any sound opinion is much sought !

tia

mike

Michael J. Dilworth

Interaxon Ltd.  Athens.  Greece.                        Tel:    (+301) 6801013/4
                                                Fax:    (+301) 6801015