Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Firewall with FreeBSD 3.3

From: "Adidas Boy" <binkieboi () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 10:58:46 MST

Dear Firewall Wizards,

I have been using FreeBSD for about 2 years now. I have learned quite a bit over the time as far as simple things to do to make it harder for someone to break into my machine such as installing tcpd to only allow certain hosts, then disabling certain services that are not needed.

It recently decided I wanted to create a machine that had the above features but also did more firewall type of stuff. I have been trying to do some reasearch and learned a little about natd and ipfw which does some type of ruleset things. I'm trying to accomplish the following and wanted some help from anyone of you that could help me. What i want to achieve is all external real ips on the internet be mapped to a certain fake ip and so all requests would have to go thru the firewall so for instance.

computer 1:
 internal ip: 10.0.0.1

computer 2:
 internal ip: 10.0.0.2

then have the firewall have something like this:

205.1.2.1 => 10.0.0.1
205.1.2.2 -> 10.0.0.2

so in essence the firewall would listen to 205.1.2.1, 205.1.2.2, etc.
and then route to the appropriate machine so the person on the outside could never really talk directly to the machine. can this be done with natd and what would i need to do to the configuration to make this work?

Any help would be appreciated!

Brian