Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Any reason not to use PIX ?

From: Gledson Pompeu Correa Da Costa <GledsonPC () TCU gov br>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:23:33 -0200

Hi there,

        I'm a long time reader of the list, and finally have a question to
submit to all gurus out there. The explanation is a bit long, but I hope it
serves well the purpose of presenting the case.

The situation:

        We have a strictly NT based network running intranet, internet and
extranet (public services) out of IIS servers, and our Internet connection
is currently protected by two Free-BSD machines - one for proxying general
connections in and out of our internal net, and one for serving web pages
out of our IIS servers through reverse proxy.

The problem:

        Our general knowledge of Unix is low: in a support team of 10, 2
have a small experience and only 1 is somewhat knowledgeable in the platform
(somewhat knowledgeable meaning installs the system and does the recommended
tweaking mostly following scripts and how-to's). As you know, if you have
only 1 person who knows a critical job, you're in trouble... Besides that,
our training budget is low, so we must focus on technologies that support
our core business (like NT and Oracle).
        So, we wish to establish a new firewall system that is not based on
any variant of Unix. On the other hand, we are not confortable to place a
firewall running on NT due to the frequency it gets bashed by hacker groups
to find new exploits.

The question (finally):

        Since Unix and NT are out, we are considering placing a Cisco
PIX-515 at the core of our firewall, together with two Cisco choke routers
to manage the inside and outside connections. The reasons for the choice
are:

        1 - It runs on a distinct platform from NT and Unix (IOS)
        2 - In our team of 10, 9 are already trained in IOS (at various
levels)
        3 - We consider it to be a secure platform

        SO, is there any reason not to use PIX (like major holes or other
problems with the product) ? Are there better alternatives in the "black
box" division ?

Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Sincerely yours,
Gledson Pompeu