Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Firewall Newbie Question

From: "Tom Gillon" <tom_gillon () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 06:19:01 PST

I'm putting a Ukiah Netroad firewall into my network, and I'm having some problems getting traffic into and out of my network. It seems to be a routing issue, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that would help me out.

Here's the situation:

Internet--Router A---Switch---Firewall---ATM Switch---Router B---Router C

The private network consists of 4 full Class C licenses and 1 Class C that is subnetted (/26). Router C is an off-site facility that is directly connected into our network via a leased line.

When I set the firewall up, I gave the private NIC an IP address of one of the full Class C networks with no gateway address, per the setup instructions. The problem I was having was that only computers on that Class C network could get Internet access. The firewall did not know about the other Class C networks. I had a static route on Router A to all of the Class C networks that pointed to the private NIC on the firewall, but computers on the other networks could not get access to the Internet.

So, my main question is how do I get the firewall to know about all of the separate internal networks. Do I need a private NIC in the firewall for each network?

Thanks in advance,
Tom