Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Active-content filtering (was RE: Buffer Overruns)

From: Neil Ratzlaff <neil.ratzlaff () ucop edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:02:41 -0800

At 05:56 12/21/99 -0500, fernando_montenegro () hp com wrote:
Hello!

One or two messages in this thread mentioned some firewalls' ability to filter
out Java[script]|ActiveX from the HTTP stream.

Considering the current scenario, where lots and lots of sites with valid,
business-need content, will use client-side scripting|code as fundamental for
functionality (news/stock tickers, client-side input validation, etc...), how
many people have actually used this feature of their firewalls in production
environments where serving Web content for an internal population is part of
the requirement? I would think the end user population would scream bloody
murder if this kind of functionality was blocked indiscriminately at the
firewall.
[deleted]

As an end user, I would love it if web sites would give up their feeling that running java on my PC is necessary. I find it slows things down (of course, I do have a fast connection), makes me nervous, and I have yet to see anything that makes my experience better that could not be done as well on the server side. Most times java is run by a web site, it is doing something I don't want to see. Consider this a vote for cleaner and safer web sites.

Neil