Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Web Stuff

From: "Olsen, Jason" <jolsen () devry com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:54:50 -0500

This is not necessarily entirely true.  While I do wholeheartedly agree with
Jason that hackers compromise the server to get to the web page, it's not
just the OS you need to worry about securing.  The web server software
itself needs to be looked over carefully.

Point in case: My old job as a webmaster for a local college.  The web
server of choice was Netscape Enterprise 3.5.1 on a Sun Solaris machine.
I'd been hired after the previous web master quit, and promptly went about
securing the machine as I saw fit (the previous person was good, but left
some serious holes open).  It was only after I'd gotten the Solaris side of
things locked down that I found a most interesting problem: Netscape
Enterprise Server would allow 'remote publishing' through the Netscape 4.x
Communicator / 3.x Gold packages (The ones that let you author web pages and
then upload them).  I don't know for 100% certain if it was configured out
of the box to accept remote publishing (read: the option was turned on and
it was just waiting for somebody to do it) or if my predecessor set it to
that.  Either way, I found out all anyone had to do was connect to the
server and upload a new index.html, and wallah!  The campus web presence
would now be whatever that remote person wanted.  ANY remote person.

Ultimately, it's not just the OS and machine you need to look at, you need
to look at the server/apps RUNNING on the machine.  If they have these
'usability features' to make things simpler for the computer illiterate
(like this 'remote publishing' bit), they can often lead to surprising holes
in your security.

-Jason 'Feren' Olsen