Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: newbee to firewalls

From: Brad Van Orden <Brad.VanOrden () netisi com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 08:30:01 -0400

Hi Ray(?),

Any good firewall will secure your network from the outside.  If you
need a quick solution, I would call the company who's firewall
interests you and ask whom they recommend in your area for installation
and let them do it.  I certainly would not try to do it yourself.
Most of your company's security problems however, are not going to come
from the Internet.  I would make sure your boss understands that very
early in this process.  Most breaches in security are going to come
from your company's employees.  Some of it is intentional, but most
are people trying to do what they think is a good job but it
exposes your companies information.  The biggest risks are portable
devices (e.g.; laptops, palm pilots, etc.).  With all the information
on these things, a competitor could wreak havoc.  So read, read, read.
Read the firewall FAQ.  Read the books you mentioned.  Talk to a
knowledgeable consultant in your area.

Regards,

Brad Van Orden

RAYMOUR () aol com wrote:

The company I work for have assigned me the task of learning Internet
Security/Firewalls. I have been surfing for info and have found alot of
information. Also I have ordered a couple for books "Building Internet
Firewalls" and "Firewalls and Internet Security" which have been mentioned at
this site. My problem is that I was given this assignment Monday July 26 and
I'm suppose to be have some questions on what is needed to start this process.
Can anyone help me out on what kinds of questions I should be asking to start
the process rolling?
I know I need to "READ" "READ" "READ".