Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PPTP performance

From: Siglite <siglite () criticalstop com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 22:28:03 -0400 (EDT)

FYI, there have been several documented holes in Microsoft's
implementation of PPTP.  I think I remember seeing several
articles on it at places like www.l0pht.com and others.

/*-----------------------------------*/
/* I live with FEAR every day.       */
/* But, sometimes, she lets me RACE. */
/*-----------------------------------*/

KT Morgan
Network Engineer
Checkpoint Firewall-1 CCSA/CCSE
Microsoft MCP
Software Systems Group, Inc

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 sean.kelly () lanston com wrote:

Do you think Windows NT and PPTP is a good solution as VPN?

See below.

If yes,how to
improve the performance? If PPTP can be used to LAN-LAN
connection?

The performance is quite acceptable.  PPTP can be used to connect two LANs
as easily as to connect a single user to a LAN.  It is also very easy to
set-up, but the lack of configuration options (which is why it's so easy to
set-up) also kind of worries me.  We actually use it here, but I had no part
in the decision-making, just setting it up.

The largest issue with Microsoft's PPTP solution is security.  Someone
posted links to detailed stories on this list recently, so I won't try to
get into details, but although they have addressed the greatest concerns
raised by security buffs there remain some outstanding issues.

If possible, you might want to look into PPTP solutions with your router.

Sean