Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: "Who else picked this one up?"

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:08:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

NFR) have been looking into adding a feature in the next version
of Back Officer to allow someone to publish these kinds of
records (potentially with a hashed IP address instead of the
real one) to a central location for statistics, forensics,

A hashed IP address isn't going to be really useful as a cover if it's
easily recreated, and not so useful as a tool if it isn't.  I'd rather
see heavy disclaimers that packets may be spoofed and real addresses.

The important issue IMO is in the reporter's validity.  That's a tougher
nut to crack, but should probably be a longer-term goal.  Victim data is
going to be more difficult to get from everyone than attacker data.

How do you envision using the data, and how much of it (if any) should be
blind analysis?

Anyone got thoughts they'd like to share about some of the
information that might be worth gathering? We thought we'd

Originating AS of the apparent source of the packets.  It's time to start
dragging providers into the mess in some tangenital way.  If there are
highly abusive networks, then that issue needs to be raised with those
network operators.

Time both local and zulu (GMT) would also be good for overall trending.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280