Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: password aging

From: "Stephen P. Gibbons" <steve () aztech net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 20:00:20 -0700

Since others have asked that this thread be dropped, this will be my last
comment.
(It's certainly been an interesting thread [for some] and deserves
discussion,
but firewall-wizards is probably not the appropriate place for it.)  I
apologize
to those who feel similarly that have waded through the discussion or hovered

over the delete button.

Paul McNabb wrote:

 From steve () aztech net  Tue Sep  1 03:27:15 1998

 Password changes are logged and audited to the same degree.  Accounts
 are currently "locked out" after N unsucessful attempts to change the
 password.  (False, but true enough for a public statement)

 Granted, the previous policy will need to be rethought.

The concept of blocking accounts based on failed attempts to change the
password is similar to blocking accounts because of bad login attempts.
The idea of locking accounts after N unsuccessful login attempts is
a mechanism that almost always introduces new, dangerous scenarios.
In particular, it allows an anonymous attacker to block an account.
Issues that need to be considered include the following.  Not all
apply to a password modification attempt in the same way as for a bad
login attempt, but the questions may stimulate some extra analysis.

It's actually an extension of the failed authentication lockout.  We
requirethe user to re-authenticate prior to a password change (standard
practice)  If the re-authentication fails, the bad-logins counter is bumped
for that user.  The intent is to prevent an unattended session from being
usurped completeley.  (I think we're on the same page, here.)

Can an "administrator" account be so blocked?  The implications of
this should be immediately obvious.  Once an attacker has broken in,
he can block anyone that may be a danger to him so that he can take
his time doing his damage.

Administrator accounts live in a different name-space and are notaccessable
by the primary users of the system.  Admin accounts can
only be accessed via the administrative network.  With physical
access to the system, the god-admin account can be retaken, if
compromised (doubtful that it would be for reasons that I won't discuss
in public.).

Do accounts require human intervention to become unblocked?  I can
think of horrible problems trying to unblock an account at odd hours
or in crunch times.  How about if 20,000 accounts have been blocked?
This may be considered a DOS attack with administrator availability
as the resource being attacked.

Staffing is 24x7.  Self-service is available, and requires more
(confirmed)information than is required for registration.  The self-service
option also
has a maximum failure limit, at which point human intervention is required.
20K locked out accounts would be a third-level support issue (me) and
would take about an hour to undo (well, more time, with the paperwork
involved.)  It would take an attacker longer to lock the accounts out than
it would to fix them.  It's highly likeley that the attacker would be shunned

before it reached anything close to that level.  DOS attacks are highly
preferred to outright compromises, in any event.

Should other factors be considered before blocking the account (e.g.,
time of day, source of login attempt, "type" of account or user, etc)?

Yes.  (and they are.)

Should other factors be considered when unblocking an account (e.g.,
unblocking occurs automatically after X seconds/minutes, an automatically
unblocked account requires a "secondary authentication" during the login
sequence, etc.)?

Yes.  (and they are.)

I'd recommend carefully considering a blocking mechanism before going
ahead with one.  There are too many issues that could end up causing
major headaches.

We have.

paul

Paul McNabb                     Argus Systems Group, Inc.
Vice President and CTO          1809 Woodfield Drive
mcnabb () argus-systems com        Savoy, IL 61874 USA
TEL 217-355-6308
FAX 217-355-1433                "Securing the Future"

--
Steve