Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: password aging

From: Aleph One <aleph1 () dfw net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 10:38:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998 Steve.Bleazard () wdr com wrote:

     One alternative to password aging, is to force everyone to use a
     password generator.  FIPS181 from the US government describes (and
     implements) such a generator.  I have found the FIPS181 algorithm
     generates good pronouncable passwords.  They are also far less
     susceptible to social engineering.

     Using password generators has many problems in itself, not least of
     which is the tendency for people to write the password down.  However,
     if security demands good password aging and system wide password
     re-use detection, then the local policies can be enforced to deal with
     this and a generator is a viable alternative.

This reminds me of this little blurb that comes with the Crack programs.
From doc/fips181.txt:

  Federal Information Processing Standard 181 defines a standard for an
  automated password generator to be used in "all federal departments
  and agencies where there is a requirement for computer generated
  pronouncable passwords"... for passwords of between 5 and 8 characters
  long.

  Basically it's a generator which takes a good PRNG and a bunch of
  fixed syllables (composed from lowercase ascii letters) and uses the
  former to drive concatenation of the latter, producing at the business
  end a "pronouncable password".

  Reading FIPS181 (http://csrc.ncsl.nist.gov/fips/fips181.txt) one gets
  a good feel for the reduction in search space that this algorithm
  provides to the password cracker.

  Section 2.4 cites that the algorithm is capable of producing
  "approximately 18 million 6-character" passwords; compare this with
  the set of 309 million lowercase 6-character passwords, and we see
  that the lack of entropy in the output has reduced the search space to
  about 5% of it's original size.

  Interesting; from this basis we may pose the following student project:
  or values of N constrained by
  your resources.

  3) sort/uniq, dawg and gzip this dictionary and put it up on an
  Internet FTP site, posting an announcement of a new Crack dictionary
  containing all possible N-character plaintext federal passwords.

  4) Write an essay describing your experiences of consequent federal
  investigation, backbiting and paranoia.
  --
  To verify the feasibility of (3), the author can confirm that the
  highly redundant 2Gb dictionary of all possible 6-character lowercase

As you can see using FIPS181 is a very bad idea.

     Steve

Aleph One / aleph1 () dfw net
http://underground.org/
KeyID 1024/948FD6B5
Fingerprint EE C9 E8 AA CB AF 09 61  8C 39 EA 47 A8 6A B8 01