Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: why isn't there a newer linux fw-howto

From: Kevin Steves <stevesk () sweden hp com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 23:23:37 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Bárány Sándor wrote:
: I am far from being a wiz, but I am wondering if the current linux fw
: howto (from Nov 1996) is beeing actual any more. Nowadays every linux
: distribution comes out with the ipfwadmin package, possibly with some
: extra home-made config script embedded in the distribution's own startup
: env. My (let me not say which one) seems beeing pretty buggy, and the
: howto does not really help. The man file I have is also about two years
: old.
:
: My config is a two-machine home net, cable modem-connected to the Net;
: linux fw and a w95 box behind for my children. It should not be a big
: problem, but the faq does not really help.

I haven't looked at that howto in a while, but you might want to take a
look at ipchains, which is the ipfw replacement in the 2.1 kernels. The
ipchains howto is very good, and there is a patch to run ipchains in the
2.0 kernels (the patch is to 2.0.34 if I recall, but I have applied it
to 2.0.36pre versions).  See
http://www.adelaide.net.au/~rustcorp/ipfwchains/ipfwchains.html.