Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Netscape Proxy Server

From: steve.gailey () db com
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:48:48 +0000

I have tried several other resources in order to find an answer to
this question and was hoping I could get some help from you guys. We
are using Netscape Proxy Server v.2.5 and have been running it on our
firewall workstation. We would like to separate the proxy server and
put it on a separate workstation from the firewall. I have configured
the proxy server, but some reason can't get it to route the requests
to the firewall. Any idea on how to do this with version 2.5 of
Netscape Proxy Server?

That rather depends on the nature of your Firewall. If it is an application
proxy based Firewall such as TIS Gauntlet, then simply set the next proxy
for the Netscape server to be the Firewall. If it is a SOCKS circuit relay,
that too can be set in the Netscape configuration. If it is a packet
forwarding Firewall, such as a CISCO or checkpoint FW-1 then you basically
need to set up the routing and possibly NAT. Tell the Netscape server to
connect directly.

This all assumes that your Firewall is expecting these connections and the
return packets of course.

If you are still having problems, then you can email me direct.

Steve Gailey
Metronome Solutions Ltd.