Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: are firewalls limited to only protecting ehternet connections?

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 23:55:42 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from JSK, sie wrote:

Wow...there's a new one for the list!  The closest thing I have heard of to
those kinds of speeds (and no where near HIPPI) is ATM firewalls running at
OC-3 with at least a promise of going to OC-12 'someday'.  You could check out
Network Systems Group of StorageTek (ATLAS ATM Firewall) and then talk to them
to see if they have that on the drawing board or not.  I'd be real curious to
know the answer too if anyone cares to post on this issue.  Thanks,

FW-1 works with IP over ATM using LANE (at least to 155mbit).

But it is `limited' to IP filtering, none for ATM...

R. DuFresne wrote:

Howdy folks,

Here's the question and concern.  High bandwidth pipes, newer ones, we're
talking HIPPI pipes.  Are there any firewall implentations that can manage
such a connection?  Or is this too BIG a pipe and perhaps too new, and so
not available in existing implementations?

I think your limitations are going to be host based - what speed is your
backplane rated at or in the case of a firewall, what's your system bus
rated to, how fast can you move data around, including in and out of the
CPU ?  I can't see what would be so difficult aside from keeping up with
the speed.