Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: are firewalls limited to only protecting ehternet connections?

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 19:23:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

In message <000001bdf148$b1086a60$0b6fe2a5 () Pent266 BITCOMM com>, "KirkAdams" wr

One reason I see this as important is for the impending "streaming video"
market that will be implemented. Basically the new "BlockBusters". Some
video servers claim 20,000 concurrent 1 Meg video streams capability. So ...
where do the switches come from to handle that. I've heard quotes of
blah,blah gig backplanes, since I was checking on this myself and I raised
the security question, (without any answers I might add). Since these
services are likely to be prime targets of BOTH the super hacks and the
existing cable thieves a good firewall would be REALLY important.

OK, guys. That's the market potential. Any suggestions on something that'll
handle it?

Yah -- no firewall at all.

I'm perfectly serious.  Why should a video server need a firewall?
You install firewalls to protect services -- ports -- that can't protect
themselves.  Video servers are not general-purpose computers.  They
don't need to run sendmail, they don't have regular users who pick
guessable passwords, etc.  Taken to the limit, such a beast needs to
listen on exactly two ports, and talk on one -- it needs to hear requests
(probably from the Web server the customer is talking to), and it needs
an administrative access port.  It's no trick to design those services to
(a) use cryptographic authentication, and/or (b) to be on a physically
different wire than the video output.

Ahh, but still, this presumes that the video server is *only* a video
server, and such is not the trend on the net.  The trend is to toss in
everything, perhaps distribute it to a number of machines dedicated to a
speciafic service or two, yet, clump all services from the ISP/net serving
the users.  And pipes are getting larger...

Thanks,

Ron Dufresne
        admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com
                  http://darkstar.sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!