Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: linux firewal question (newbie)

From: "Kevin T. Shivers" <kshivers () tis com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 15:52:50 -0400

At 11:35 AM 10/14/98 -0700, David Lang wrote:

One other reason to have linux/gauntlet rather then BSDI/Gauntlet is if
the admin has 20+ other linux boxes to administer but no other BSDI boxes
it is much easier to maintain the box. I have spoken to NAI and at this
point nobody is willing to admit to anything. (I even had one clueless
salesman tell me it would not be done becouse of the security problem
caused by having source code available, he obviously had not read the
white paper on his own web site talking about the advantages of a "crystal
box" approach :-)

The reason that they will not admit to anything is because they don't know
anything. This is *not* an NAI undertaking. It *is* an undertaking by
several bored people who have been NAI summer student hires, but at this
point nothing is being done, or is planned to be done. Anyone with an old
version of Gauntlet (with source code) could do it if they knew enough
about programming. However, the newer versions of Gauntlet aren't shipping
with source code so you would have problems there.

You also forgot the crucial rule of buying things: *Never trust salespeople!*

David Lang

kts