Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: linux firewal question (newbie)

From: James Croall <jcroall () tis com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:36:53 -0400

TIS runs on BSDI, SOLARIS, HPUX, and NT.  There are some differences between
the UNIX platforms and the NT platforms.

You can download FWTK for linux and TIS used to have some good links to
various plugs, proxies, etc.. for the FWTK.

FWIW, I've read comments somewhere from someone who has _ported_ Gauntlet
to run on Linux (yes, they had already bought it to run on other systems
but because they got the source, they were able to make it run elsewhere,
I assume).  I cannot put a name or date to when that was.  The comments
about the porting effort went along the lines of it wasn't that hard due
to similarities with the way the Gauntlet kernel changes work and the way
Linux worked/works.

At a former employer I ported Gauntlet 4.0a (mostly) to Linux. The libraries
and proxies are an easy port, the kernel services are a little more work (no,
I didn't have a BSDI & Gauntlet kernel source license).

In the end I had a Gauntlet running on Linux, with packet filtering and
transparent proxies provided by the standard ipfw code (these days I would
use Darren's code). A (broken) swIPe implementation is available for Linux,
although I didn't bother with that; swIPe isn't very robust compared to the
other things out there today.

So it *is* possible, although I'm not sure it's worth the effort. There is
a large amount of contributed code for the FWTK, it's a pretty rich platform
if you want to go that route.

- James