Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PUBLIC: boxed "multi-purpose" firewalls - overkill??

From: peter.vaterlaus () ubs com
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:47:28 +0200

     Michael,

     IMO a bastion host usually uses a single NIC only. Therfore only
     application gateways can be implemented there. Most 'boxed' firewalls
     are designed with multiple NICs and a distinction between 'secure',
     i.e. intranet, and 'insecure' NICs. The rules then apply either in the
     direction from 'insecure' to 'secure' side or opposite.

     For this type FWs you need a design router <--> FW <--> router.
     Depending on your security requirements and your firewall you can also
     omit one or both of the routers.

     Wheter you require a 'pass through' FW or one or more 'classical'
     bastion hosts or a mix of all of them depends mainly on:
     1) the security requirements (policy)
     2) the applications (IP-protocols)
     and in most cases also on the experience and preferences of the FW
     designer of course!

     If you are not very experienced in FW implementations, I recommend you
     a multiple NIC solution. But as mentioned above, it finally depends on
     your requirements.

     Regards
     Peter Vaterlaus

     Note: I speak here for my own, not for my employer