Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Summary - Port 1443 problem solved

From: "Justin Clift" <vapour () digitaldistribution com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:47:45 +1000

Thank you to all those whom responded with information on the destination IP
address in question and possible causes of it.

The culprit turned out to be.....  ICQ.

It seems she had been conversing with someone on that IP (his work PC) just
as their business enabled a new firewall/rule.

ICQ therefore is repeatedly trying to deliver a message to him, and seems to
have some code inbuilt for incrementing the *source* port number to possibly
find a solution (possible hole or such)...

I haven't figured out how to convince ICQ not to send the message, I expect
deleting the user (or ICQ!) will solve this problem though.  :-)

I'm more and more astounded every day just what ICQ can be the start of
(problems wise), whether or not directly being the ICQ program or the way
the user uses it.

Thanks everyone.

Regards and best wishes,

+ Justin Clift