Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Gauntlet source IP address re-write question

From: "Dale Lancaster" <dlancaster () raptor com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 00:26:22 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
To: esteban () ceap net <esteban () ceap net>
Cc: firewall-wizards () nfr net <firewall-wizards () nfr net>
Date: Monday, November 09, 1998 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: Gauntlet source IP address re-write question

Raptor, on the other hand, in the last release of their software
implemented a
whole scale transparency that does accomplish maintaining the source IP
address
of connections coming across the proxies. Is there really no such
comparable
option in Gauntlet? Can you turn off source IP address re-write? Maybe I
missed
something.

Raptor enables wholesale transparency of your network, letting people
outside route anything THEY want to anywhere on your network.  This is
why we don't like it and don't use it.  Gauntlet transparency does the
same thing, to some degree.  (Yes, as I understand it, for telnet,
too.)  You'll have to decide whether you feel comfortable exposing
yourselves like that.

A correction is in order on this part of the topic discussion.  The Raptor
Firewall does NOT route anything - its an application level firewall -and -
and it certainly does not route "anything"/everything by default.  A more
proper statement of capability is:

The Raptor Firewall can be configured in several different ways for
transparency.  It ranges from NO transparency whatsoever (the old style
firewall proxy look and feel), to complete transparency for both clients and
servers on both sides of the firewall and/or some of each.  In all cases, it
still requires that a specific access rule be created that specifically
allows which traffic is allowed to pass.  Transparency is also selective on
a per interface basis and can be for specific IP Addresses to whole subnets
to the whole Universe.  So, if anything, the Raptor Firewall offers a fairly
broad range of choices, not a single mode that was implied in your email.
Contact me privately if you want to discuss further.

regards,
dale

--
Joe Yao jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support EMT-A/B