Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Gauntlet source IP address re-write question

From: Inno Eroraha <inno () patriot net>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 22:00:28 -0500

The problem is the IP address rewrite.  When I connect to some external host
with whatever application, I want to see the source IP address as the real IP
address, not the IP address of the firewall. Is there such a way to make
Gauntlet do that? As far as I can tell, the only way is to use the "Plug"
proxy, which does have an option for passing the source IP address. But there
is no such option on the telnet proxy setup.

Hmm... making the internal IP address visible to the outside world defeats
the entire purpose of the address hidding by the firewall. But, if you must
"advertise" your IP address to the world, Gauntlet provides some options:

* Create filtering/screening rules (you really should use this option for
"un-poxyable" connections such as UDP, GRE, ICMP, etc.). This works if you
have routable IP addresses at both ends, unless of course you are using
private IP addresses and doing NAT at the same time

* For non-standard Gauntlet proxies, such as generic plugs, you have the
option to enable "force_source_address." Again, you have to have a routable
address at both ends.

But assuming that you are using standard Gauntlet proxies such as tn-gw,
http-gw, etc., you are robbed of this. Instead, you could do NAT (some
given internal host appears as some outside host).

Raptor, on the other hand, in the last release of their software
implemented a
whole scale transparency that does accomplish maintaining the source IP
address
of connections coming across the proxies. Is there really no such comparable
option in Gauntlet? Can you turn off source IP address re-write? Maybe I
missed
something.

Please keep in mind that enabling transparency doesn't necessarilly mean
that your addresses will be masquaraded/hidden/rewritten by the firewall.
By default, internal users get trasparency, but their address is re-written
by the firewall, unless of course you are referring to transparency through
filtering/screening rules.

FYI, there is a Gauntlet mailing list, for Gauntlet-specific discussions,
etc. (Go to: http://rmsbus.com/gauntlet-user.htm) for more info.

-0-
Inno Eroraha
Network Security Consultant