Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Packets.

From: john_smith () rd qms com
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 98 08:23:26 -0600

        It hit me two minutes after I clicked on send that I hadn't worded
     my previous email correctly.  Hadn't had enough caffeine yet.  :(

        We allow *outbound*:

     - echo (type 8/code 0)
     - parameter-problem (12/[0|1])
     - source-quench (4/0)
     - ttl-exceeded (11/[0|1])

        and deny all other ICMP outbound.

        Inbound we allow all ICMP.

        This allows us to ping sites and allows our customers to get basic
     error messages.

        Given the wording below this is the exact opposite of our policy.
     Guess I'm going to have to rethink some things.  At least this list
     does seem to work for us.

           Once again please let me know if you spot any problems with this
     list.

        If I've gotten anything wrong again please let me know and I'll go
     back home and go back to bed.  ;)

     jcs