Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Packets.

From: "Ge' Weijers" <ge () progressive-systems com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:42:27 -0400 (EDT)

This is what I came up with a while back:

Type    Description                     rule
0       echo reply                      allow both [1]
3       destination unreachable         allow both [3]
4       source quench                   allow both [4]
5       redirect                        allow out [2]
8       echo request                    allow out [1]
12      parameter problem               allow both
*       anything else                   block

[1] Many more possibilities exist to probe a network, so disallowing
    incoming 'ping' packets does not add much security.
[2] To help hosts on the DMZ.
[3] Some older protocol stacks (SunOS 4 comes to mind) may
    drop established TCP connections when receiving a destination
    unreachable message. This is wrong.
[4] This ICMP message is deprecated. Trying to do flow control by
    generating more traffic was a bad idea in hindsight :-)

A firewall built using packet filters that don't keep some form of state
will not be able to block network probing. In some cases a combination of
NAT and packet filtering will improve security: a machine that does not
have a globally valid IP address can't be probed.

Ge'