Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Proxy 2.0 secure?

From: "Choi, Byoung" <bchoi () visa com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:49:18 -0700

beside the size, nt protocol stack is substantially less mature than
unix code - it often kills the machine when it receives malformed
packets, particularly faulty IP fragmemts ( i don't know what new fixes
ms came out with, but last time i tried - couple of weeks ago - I found
at least three types of hacks generating malformed packets that knocked
out NT boxes with all the patches available from ms)   such malformed
packets can be generated by mistakes by other hosts, not necessarily
with malicious intents, and, in order to call nt protocol stack a
working piece of code, it must handle these degenerates properly, at
least not killing the machine.
(just to note, i had "hardened" the nt box by taking out just about all
nt-specific services, with only tcp/ip protocol, and all ports diabled
except a few open for dedicated application purposes.  the machine
choked even when the degenerate packets were addressed to ports that
were supposedly "disabled" ! )

i ran the same test against unix boxes, and they didn't budge - not
surprising, since they had decades to sort out these little bugs.  same
buggy problem afflicts linux, which is also relatively new like nt, but
with its source being open, bug report and fixes come out much quicker
than those for nt, and you can examine for yourself that the fix is a
real fix, not a bandaid solution, with the open source (and open patch
as well).

with the proxy running on nt, it wouldn't matter how good the proxy code
is, if the underlying OS chokes up.   if you are security/availability
conscious, it would be a good idea to keep nt boxes outta net segments
exposed to the Net.   i heard that ms bought reliable, time-tested
source for protocol stack from a third party for their nt release 5, and
perhaps buggy protocol stack problem will be less of an issue with nt 5,
but until then, i would keep nt boxes out of the Net if i want them stay
up and be useful.

b-