Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Proxy 2.0 secure? (about ms protocol stack)

From: Eric Arnold <earnold () hitech eds com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 20:47:40 -0700

At 10:52 AM 06/25/98 -0700, Choi, Byoung wrote:
normally, i'll try to keep my mouth shut, but...

ms tcp/ip stack is substantially less mature than, say, unix' (both bsd
& s5, i don't know what else is there to compare...).   ms stack seems
particularly vulnerable to faulty ip fragments, and various malformed
packets.   we tried various ways to tighten up the nt box - take out
most of the ms net services, disable all tcp/ip ports except for a few
that are used, and the machine still chokes (even when the malformed
packet/packet fragments are addressed to ports that are disabled).
this isn't a issue of how resilient the protocol stack is, but a issue
of whether it can handle any unusual (but very much possible and maybe
even probable) contigents, as it must - i.e. whether it is functioning
at all as it is supposed to.

This is fixed (at least the known probs) by installing the teardrop2 hotfix
available from the MS website.

Eric Arnold              | "Uh,... okay, I get it. So what?"
earnold () hitech eds com   |        - Albert Einstein
EDS/Philips, Sunnyvale   |   "Einstein's Conversations with Derrida"