Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Proxy 2.0 secure? (about ms protocol stack)

From: "Choi, Byoung" <bchoi () visa com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:52:51 -0700

normally, i'll try to keep my mouth shut, but...

ms tcp/ip stack is substantially less mature than, say, unix' (both bsd
& s5, i don't know what else is there to compare...).   ms stack seems
particularly vulnerable to faulty ip fragments, and various malformed
packets.   we tried various ways to tighten up the nt box - take out
most of the ms net services, disable all tcp/ip ports except for a few
that are used, and the machine still chokes (even when the malformed
packet/packet fragments are addressed to ports that are disabled).
this isn't a issue of how resilient the protocol stack is, but a issue
of whether it can handle any unusual (but very much possible and maybe
even probable) contigents, as it must - i.e. whether it is functioning
at all as it is supposed to.

i notice that similar problem afflicting linux boxes - not surprising,
since both have relatively newly written protocol stack, as compared to
bsd/s5 which had decades to sort out these little bugs.    the
difference is that linux, with its open source, have these hacks looking
thru the source and point out the problems in public (as opposed to some
malicious hacks keeping the info for his own purposes), and often point
out fix/patch for the problem.  with ms, you'll only find out if you
scour these hack sites, or if the problem comes and bite you.    it'll
be nice if ms has a service (and i think it should be free, since we
paid for properly working software) to send out new patches ("hotfixes")
to their customers as soon as they become available  (maybe there are.
if so, i'll be thankful if you send me the info on how to get the
service), but at any rate, their finding of bugs and their fixes will be
much slower compared to the open source packages that get reviewed by
milllions.  (maybe, ms knows that its protocol stack doesn't stack up
(excuse the pun), so it's not in their interest to publicize in anyways
all the bugs that are not sorted out).

i hear ms is buying a reliable, time-tested protocol stack source from a
third party for their nt 5 release, which should make things bit better,
but until then, i wouldn't put any ms nt boxes exposed to the net if you
want them to stay up and be useful.

this whole babble applies, of course, if the ms proxy runs on nt, as i
assume it does.  i haven't had any experience with ms proxy, to be
honest...

b-

(here's pot-shot:  why don't nt problems get reported by CERT?
because... nevermind, i pissed off enough people for lifetime's worth
already... ;-)