Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAT

From: Rick Smith <rick_smith () securecomputing com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 16:03:51 -0500

At 12:01 PM 6/17/98 -0700, Ryan Russell wrote:

I'm under the impression that if the IP header of an IPSec packet
gets modified, the packet will get rejected because IP addresses
are part of what's checked for in authentication mode.  I'm also
assuming that authentication mode is wanted/needed when doing
VPN applications.

I haven't looked at the current implementation, but older NAT versions on
Sidewinder would modify port numbers in the TCP or UDP header as well as IP
addresses. You're right: nothing works once you apply IPSEC to NATted data.

The problem I'm concerned with is remote-access type VPN
applications.  This is where I send users running around the world
with a piece of software on their laptops, and they get whatever
kind of Internet access they can.  This would include sitting
on someone else's net, and going out through their firewall.
I think the IPSec method of transport is going to have limited
value in those situations, and we'll need something simpler
for a transport, like a TCP connection.

This is a policy problem first and a technology problem second. The visitor
is trying to treat the hosting site like an ISP, and that's not always
appropriate. The host site might not want an outsider generating encrypted
data streams inside their network and shooting them through the door at
high speed.

Rick.
smith () securecomputing com