Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAT

From: Tina Bird <tbird () iegroup com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:00:13 -0500

Hmm, yes, looks like we're talking at cross purposes here.  In the
second example I described (sorry, not sufficiently visually oriented
here to do pictures), the firewall wasn't itself performing any
encryption, only the internal server - no wonder I/we was/were
confused!

However, it has recently been brought to my attention that there may be
a legitimate reason for the second sort of scenario.  If one needs to
encapsulate non-TCP/IP traffic for Internet transport, say IPX, one
might want to send the IPX traffic to a PPTP encryptor first (or an
L2TP router), then further encrypt the PPTP packets in some
stronger encryption/authentication system.  Haven't seen it in
action.  Does sound like more of a bottleneck than it might be worth,
but ought to be feasible.

Sorry for the confusion -- t.

Burden, James wrote:

Thanks John for your reply, the URLs were good reading.

Tina,

May I ask what isn't true?  I had a hard time following your example ( I
like pictures myself).  So, I am going to draw them.

I think you are giving two examples.  First:
[Outside host(encrypt)]<<--(VPN)-->>[Firewall (decrypt - NAT)]<<---clear
text--->>[inside host]

I think we can both agree that NAT does not interfere in this scenario.
Although, NAT will always add _some_ latency to network performance, but
this is a given.

Second:
[Outside Host(encrypt)]<<--(VPN)-->>[Firewall(decrypt - NAT -
encrypt)]<<--VPN#2-->>[inside host(decrypt)]

However, the second scenario I say is costly (kludgey - Is this the
right spelling??).  Not that it cannot be done.  If this is done we can
see that we are encrypting and decrypting twice.  As the security
architectures/products are already behind the network
infrastructure/products by 2-3 years in terms of throughput (i.e.,
Gigabit Ethernet and ATM OC-3/OC-12.....) then the security engineers
are in danger of impeding corporation progress and/or needs.  Vendors
are just now able to support Fast Ethernet (FE) to a fair degree (I
should define this as not just connecting with a FE interface, but
supporting near line speeds).   There will be a performance hit (cost)
taken when using scenario 2 compared to if there were no NAT and only
encrypting & decrypting once.

If I am missing something, please clue me in.

Jim