Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW: CISCO PIX Vulnerability

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 02:34:56 -0400 (EDT)

        In considering the cost/benefit of building such machines, be
aware that if an organization has built one to perform a specific
task, it now has the machine as a sunk cost, and may target you to
keep the machine warm.

        Strong crypto generally costs the same as weak crypto (modulo
export controls).  Use of weak crypto because no one would spend 30k
to target your system is stupid.  When DES came out, cracking it was
probably beyond the reach of even the NSA.  (Although Robert Morris Sr
often reminds us to never underestimate the amount of effort your
opponents will put into cryptanalysis.)  Now, DES is cracked with some
regularity by volunteer groups loosely coordinated over the internet.
DES based systems are going to be with us for at least another 5-10
years.  Buying DES today is stupid, unless you're planning to see the
system crash with a Y2k bug, and need replacement.

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume