Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

FW: CISCO PIX Vulnerability

From: Hal <hal () mrj com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:33:38 -0700

----------

This is a crypto question and I guess we should take subsequent posts to
alt.cyberpunks.  The thing to watch out for is the slow but steady progress being made with unique cracking engines
using field programmable logic arrays and similar devices. 40 bit keys are estimated to fall in one to three hours
depending upon the system. The  cost is around $30-50k, reasonable and within range of many organizations.  You should
be careful to balance this protection against the value of what is being protected.

Regards Hal
Hal () mrj com

----------
lum () infoexpress com wrote

Damir Rajnovic wrote:

Apparently, knowing what bits are fixed will not bring attacker
any additional 'gain' in breaking a DES. At least I was told that by
people from sci.crypt group.

That statement is true under certain circumstances, but it seems to be taken
out of context here.

DES uses an 8 byte key, of which only 56 bits are used for encryption (8 of
the bits are ignored). Because of this, you can take a 7 byte key and by
carefully expanding it, you can produce an 8 byte DES key that is just as
strong as a random 8 byte key so long as the original 7 byte key is truly
random.

When using DES with the infamous 40 bit key limitation often mandated by
certain governments, vendors must further reduce the 56 bits down to 40 bits.
The algorithm used is typically to mask (fix) 16 bits in the 56 bits used in
the DES key such that the number of non-fixed bits always adds up to 40 bits.

The "privacy" of a 40 bit key does not depend on which of the 16 bits were
masked out of the original 56 used bits. The same method can be used to
create an effective key length of 48 bits.

Another thing is that PIX is using DES in ECB mode. CISCO admits that
"....ECB is not generally considered to be the best mode in which to
employ DES,...." but you'll have to live with it. CISCO will not fix
that so you'll have to buy future IPSEC/IKE products.

ECB is the simplest (and most vulnerable) mode available...

Regards,
Stacey Lum
InfoExpress