Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxy 2.0 secure? (IDS)

From: "Ryan Russell" <ryanr () sybase com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 12:30:22 -0700

I think Thomas' point is that there is no way to identify
even well known attacks if they've been fragmented in funny
was for different OSes.  I'd have to agree with that.  No
IDS will catch 100% of the attacks, and not even 100% of
known attacks if they are presented in different packet-breaking
styles.

My question towards that end is:  Isn't there some common
thing to look for with these funny streams that will identfiy
it as a problem, if not that it's a /cgi-bin/phf attack?

For your question... if it's done on the firewall machine, i'd
assume the firewall would reassemble it one particular
way, which would prevent the attack from working,
but might not allow the IDS to identify it as an
attempt.  I guess that would be more for layer 3
DoS-type attacks than app-type attacks.

                    Ryan

----

I imagine the IDS vendors will have to start assembling fragments,
and checking for valid frag pointers.  Are you implying that they
can't, won't, or it's too hard?

As pointed out in the IDS paper, this would require the IDS to reassemble
the
*same* fragment stream in many different ways to simulate the behaviors of
the various TCP/IP stacks out there.  This is extremely time consuming (in
a real-time monitoring scenario) and requires intimate knowledge of all the
Stack flavors protected by the firewall.

Seems to me you could greatly reduce the impact of this sort of attack by
combining packet
reassembly capability into your IDS, and making it an active choke between
the outside
world and the firewall. This would provide a clean packet stream (free of
fragments) that have been reassembled in a consistent manner, making life
easier for both the firewall (especially an SPF) and your IDS (which only
has to reassemble the fragments in one way).

Incidently, changing the role of the IDS from a passive monitor to an
active choke also
addresses the "fail open" behavior of traditional IDS's