Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: switches and security

From: "Andrew J. Luca" <andrewluca () mediaone net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 08:31:21 -0400

Gerhard,

        I would have to agree with the earlier posts.  You are relying on the idea
that the switch can keep the individual vlans separate.  Some of the
implementations that I have examined over the past couple of years don't
fully ensure that this is the case under certain circumstances.  Most of the
VLAN implementations are layer 2 type functions which mean that during
certain broadcast transmissions, you may see some leakage.  Before I get
fifty million posts from  people disagreeing, I know that there are layer
three functions and I know that there are layer 2 implementations which
perform this properly.  My claim is simply this: the extra money for a low
end switch (e.g. small, multiport repeater or hub) since you can't have
enough traffic out there to warrant a switch and a second interface card is
far cheaper than the time that you will spend either 1) verifying that this
works properly or 2) repairing a breach.

Just my opinion.
Drew