Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Survey so far - Security Policy methodologies

From: Bret Watson <lists () bwa net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 11:45:43

OK I've received several responses so far, most of them from the
firewall-wizards list, some from infsec list and others...

Most of the responses dealt with some form of 'attack response' other words
they dealt with things like setting up firewall rules (aka policies).
A few responses dealt with threat trees - not really what I was looking
for, but the two papers suggested (legion project - MOAT) were quite good
in their own right. And a couple of responses regarding TCB Evaluation.

Useful information on using a formal methodology to create a written
corporate security policy.:

The MOAT technique looks quite useful for threat analysis, I might try and
use it for policy design the paper is at
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~dmk8r/MOAT.ps.

Apart from that - very little - perhaps this was my fault for not fully
specifying what I was looking for so...

I am seeking information regarding creating written security policies (and
SOPs) using formal methods (aka some form of software engineering
methodology) for a paper.

The paper seeks to develop a methodology that enables the policy writer to:
i) present cause effect relationships in a simplified form for management
approval - presently the mounds of text produced is not in a digestible
form for senior management - the people who have to provide backing for
these policies.

ii) to enable a level of 'code' reuse without the problems of simply cut
and pasting from such tomes as 'policies made easy' - this is not to put
down the roles that these documents have - they are very good, but you
should never just take the policy straight from there - local legalities
and conditions need to be considered at least.

iii) to enable some form of testing on paper that the policy is complete
and consistent. That it does not permit contradictions and that it will
allow correct responses to events. It would also be nice to enable it to be
used in code as this would then allow policies to be implemented directly
on the system - RAS from technologic does this (http://www.technologic.com)
- I wish to improve on it.

Yours,

Bret
Technical Incursion Countermeasures
Providing the means for your company's self-defense
consulting () bwa net                      http://www.ticm.com/
ph: (+61)(08) 9429 8898(UTC+8 hrs)      fax: (+61)(08) 9429 8800