Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security Policy methodologies

From: "Larry J. Hughes Jr." <larry () nwnet net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 08:09:54 -0800 (PST)

Ted Doty <ted () iss net> writes:
I stand by my assertion that there is insufficient statistical evidence
to allow organizations to specify realistic, quantifiable security
policies without a similar type of effort.  They are unlikly to be able
to assess their statistical liklihood of being attacked, and certainly
will not be able to measure whether they fit or deviate from the norm
(since there is no valid norm).

I don't think that the 'what is my statistical liklihood of being
attacked?' question is necessarily the right one to be asking. A couple of
reasons:

First, what is your statistical liklihood of your office being burgled?
There are many answers, depending on what numbers you decide to consider
-- office park, neighborhood, city, state, region, country, planet.  Each
of the answers is relative not absolute.  While geography doesn't
necessarily rule the net's attack escapades, plenty of other similar
variables might -- vertical market, ISP, corporate visiblity, etc.  In the
end do you really care or do you want to install an alarm and a few locks?

Second, there are many pointy-hairs around who will misuse the statistics.
"What? Only a 0.01 percent chance of email being snooped?  That doesn't
justify spending $X per seat to implement PGP companywide.  Think of the
money we'll save that our competitors will spend.  That gives us a real
competitive edge."

Third, there is enough attention to be had by creating and disseminating a
new interesting hack that any given organization's liklihood of being
attacked can literally change overnight.  What didn't look "statistically
dangerous" when you went home at 5:00pm adversely impacted your business
by 8:00am.

Fourth, given that it's so easy to attack a site with impunity, who is to
say that there won't be a 10% rise in the overall attack rate in the next
90 days?  25%?  50%?  1996's statistics are birdcage-liner material at
that point.

As a famous statistician once said, "statistics are a great tool for
predicting the past."  I'm not sure I want to base my current security
policy more than a wee bit on the past; rather, on what I can make a
reasonable business case for today.

---
Larry J. Hughes Jr.    larry () nwnet net     http://www.nwnet.net/~larry/