Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: High availability firewalls

From: todd () susq com (Allen Todd)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:02:30 -0500 (EST)

Jyri Kaljundi wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Allen Todd wrote:

A solution I've been implementing lately at my company is to use
fault tolerant sparc5's from Resilience.  They are quite pricey
but since we're using a commercial firewall, it is offset
somewhat by not having to purchase a second firewall license.

Do they give software HA also or only hardware fault tolerance? Why I want
HA firewalls on 2 machines to be used is because I believe the software
(OS, firewall software) will fail, not the hardware itself.

The configuration I use is only hardware fault tolerance. You are right
that this doesn't protect me from buggy code.

The hardware is not a supported configuration for Sun's HA/Clustering --
I suspect Qualix could be made to work but this is exactly the complexity
I was trying to avoid.

Jyri Kaljundi also wrote:

Allen,

What is the approximate cost for Resilience boxes? Do they have Ultra's
also? Do they support quad ethernet network cards?

You are probably looking at about $30k +/- 5k depending on configuration.
They only support a single sbus card -- QE and QFE are supported.  An ultra
is supposed to be coming out around March... Solaris 2.6 not supported yet.

For more details:

        http://www.resilience.com/