Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Multiport NICs on FW1

From: Rob Poland <rob.poland () inet unisource nl>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 10:25:26 +0100 (MET)

I presume you are using one interface on the Internet and the others connected
to your INTERNAL NETWORKS.
        Is it possible to 'firewall' multiple interfaces (connected to
different ISP's) to multiple interfaces on different Internal networks with a
one to one relationship, with each a seperate set of rules, on a FW-1 or any
other FW? Which hardware configuration would be suitable (multi-processor)? Any
experiences on performance and security issues?

 ISP-1      ISP-2       ISP-3       ....     ISP-n
   |          |           |
   |          |           |
   |          |           |
  --------   --------    --------
  DMZ-1 |    DMZ-2 |     DMZ-3 |
       --------------------------
      |           FW             |
       --------------------------
        |          |          |
    INTERNAL   INTERNAL   INTERNAL     .....  INTERNAL
    NETWORK-1  NETWORK-2  NETWORK-3           NETWORK-n

We currently use Sun Ultra's for all of our firewalls.  I know we have at
least one of them running with two FDDI boards and a quad ethernet board
(we had to remove the graphics cards to accomplish this).  I would assume
you could use any combination.

Chuck Statton
GTE