Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: High Performance Firewall solution?

From: "Aaron D. Turner" <aturner () vicinity com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 18:43:31 -0800 (PST)

Bennet isn't talking about having a IP tunnel server behind the router in
this statement which you quote.

Actually something along the lines of what you're talking about is sorta
what I originally had in mind without the extra cost of big Cisco routers
and their subsequent cost in $$$ and latency.

The WSD's are already capable of implementing a simple ACL with minimal
performance hit.  But as we all know the more ACL's you put in, the more
CPU utilization goes up, and the increased latency, and finally decreased
response and throughput to the end user.  So you either get
bigger/faster/more expensive routers to handle the throughput or don't
send your encrypted traffic through the protecting router (in this case
the WSD).

So what we're looking for is basically a proxying firewall (at least that
seems to make the most sense to me) that can sit next to (logically) to
the WSD's.  The reason is simple.  The WSD's are the default route for the
web farm.  Hence the only way to get secure traffic ultimately destined
for an authenticated user on the internet at large is for the web server
to think that it's talking to a host on the local network- ie the
firewall.

Think of it this way:  All http traffic goes through the WSD to the web
farm (everything else is blocked).  All other traffic is forced to go
through the firewall.

------
Aaron Turner, CNE                        |  Email: aturner () vicinity com
Network Engineer                         |  Voice: 650.237.0311 x252
Vicinity Corp.  http://www.vicinity.com  |  Fax:   650.237.0305
Email-to-alpha-page: 4155721411.1146752 () pagenet net [Subject & Body sent]