Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: High Performance Firewall solution?

From: "Stout, William" <StoutW () pios com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 18:03:29 -0500

That answer sounded good to me.  Why is a packet filter not appropriate?
 Behind that you can use an IP tunnel server or protocol-specific
encryption, plus strong authentication.  Then an IDS to catch those who
might've gotten through the packet filter.  I like Cisco routers, but
NSC borderguard routers respond to Wheelgroup IDS software (Borderware,
Borderguard) and they also have R-R VPN capability (data 'sleeves').

AFA dial-up/tunnel client performance (ref Windows), poor performance
may be caused by MTU setting of 1500 vs. 576 (which works much better)
and other default Windows settings.  F/R and ATM also impact performance
WRT packet size due to packet assembly/disassembly.

Bill Stout