Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

INtrusion Detection

From: Gary Crumrine <gcrum () us-state gov>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 07:29:08 -0500

I started a similar thread a few days ago on the IDS list, and it seems to
have spilled over to here.

One thing that I have noticed, is that we tend to deal in absolutes...  A
product has to meet x,y,z absolutely or it is considered BAD.  I totally
disagree with that thought stream.   Take a look at the needs of a bank,
VS. the little shop down the block that wants to protect their ten employee
internet connection.  Who's needs are more?  I think that the first answer
is both are equal.  But the poor guy doesn't have the $ to spend like the
bank.   He needs something...so he is willing to accept more of a risk, and
use something less robust IE Costing less.  It makes damn good sense to me
to recommend a product that may be less robust, but affordable in lieu of
him going totally without.....

I think we are becoming too closed minded these days.  We need to root out
solutions, not attacking each other's ideas
My 2 cents worth