Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Reporting tools

From: Israel Rosencrantz <israel () pobox com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 16:39:31 -0500

At 10:54 AM 12/3/98 -0500, you wrote:

We are currently evaluating several reporting products that take the
checkpoint log files and use that information to give us reports on
bandwidth usage, top 50 websites hit, top 50 internet users...  We're also
looking for peak usage hours, peak days of the week, etc...

One thing to watch out for is how you have configured the logging. It is very
easy to mistakenly set it up so that you will have unaccounted for traffic.
While this solution might work it still probably will not compare with what
you would get with a real RMON probe, e.g., NetScout. The main reason
is that the RMON probe has one job, and the support applications are made
already just for doing the kind of reporting you are talking about. If money
is involved, better to use something with high assurance.