Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: POP3 Security Issues

From: Pedro A M Vazquez <vazquez () iqm unicamp br>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 22:17:00 -0200

 Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 09:48:37PM +0000, Crispin Cowan wrote:
Pedro A M Vazquez wrote:

http://www.hitachi-ms.co.jp/bjorb/en/
http://mike.daewoo.com.pl/computer/stunnel/

Pedro

I use SSH to tunnel my POP3 traffic.  To do this, you need sshd running on the
POP3 mail server, and an ssh client on the client machine.  This one-line
command creates a tunnel from my local port 6666 (arbitrarily chosen) to the POP
host's port 110.  I then tell my mail client (Netscape, in my case) to fetch
mail via POP3:6666, and SSH transparently transmits that to the remote
POP server's appropriate port.

 I was looking from the tipical network user we have, they are
not used to doing nothing more complicated than "click on *".
 With bjorb you can set up a standard clear text->ssl tunel
on any win* machine without replacing/changing any binaries:

127.0.0.1:*(clear)-UserWing*Box===SSL====
                                         \
                                          (remoteserver-simap:993)(remoteserver)

                                                              (127.0.0.1:imap)

Bjorb setup is very simple, easy to automate, and does not impose restrictions
on clients. On the server side you can choose from bjorb, stunnel, SSLsock,
native SSL server implementations, etc).

        For the tipical unix hacker/nerd ssh does all we need.

Pedro