Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Detection book: good or bad?

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 08:45:50 -0500

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 04:10:44PM -0600, Annie Coyne wrote:
| Amazon.com is pushing a new book called Intrusion Detection : Network
| Security Beyond the Firewall,   by Terry Escamilla. I went to Amazon's
| page on it (see link below, if you're interested) and found two very
| conlicting customer reviews.
|
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471290009/ref%3Dad%5Fgc1/002-5619081-9644637

The author clearly understands Intrusion Detection, and computer
security at a fairly deep level.  He may in places disagree with me
(and thus be WRONG :), but he does not lack understanding.

He tries to do an awful lot of things, which is a trap many authors
fall into.  So, what are you looking for in a book on Intrusion
Detection?

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume