Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAT and NetBios

From: Stefan Norberg <stefan_norberg () hp com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 01:33:03 +0100

I discussed this the other day with a router guy. He thought that the
NAT in Cisco IOS did NETBIOS correctly. I also talked to James Gawin of
Microsoft Consulting at the Win2000 conference in Nice and he claimed
that the NAT in the router in upcoming Windows 2000 handles NETBIOS ok.

If you want to do NT-traffic through FW-1, running NAT or not, I
recommend a VPN-tunnel of some kind.

Regards,

Stefan Norberg
HP Consulting

Leslie Jay wrote:

  While I'm aware that NetBios over TCP (NBT) definitely is going to
  be a problem with most NAT products, in this particular case FW-1,
  because the host IP is contained in the payload which the NAT is
  not going to translate,  there isn't much resources about how to
  resolve it.