Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: finding undocumented external connections

From: Gary Crumrine <gcrum () us-state gov>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 13:06:31 -0400

One thing I think this discussion has missed, is the fact that if the
company has a security policy, you may need to update it to today's
business needs.  If there is a legitimate need for connectivity to the
Internet, and you are not currently serving that need, you are forcing
users to circumvent the system.  I think it would be a good idea to work
with them to build a business case, then go ahead and provide the needed
service in a safe and secure manner.   Then when you find illegal stuff,
you have to consider it as a hostile act and deal with it accordingly.

I have found that users will cooperate if they feel you are sincere and are
willing to work with/for them.