Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Screening Outgoing Mail for Content

From: Dean_Ethier () dmr ca
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 14:36:00 -0600

It seems to me that the argument against screening content based on
relative
ease of defeating it is like saying that since locks can be picked don't
bother locking anything. The aim has to be reduction of risk, not>
eminating it (since that is impossible anyway). Locks work reasonably well
because most people can't pick them, not because they are un-pickable.

Chris, I would liken it more to putting a lock on a door that has no walls
on either side of it.  Sure, noone can get through the door, byt all they
have to do is take a step to left and walk around the door!

Libertarian
ideologies are al very well, but many larger companies have systems in
place
to monitor unreasonable phone usage, so why not email?

Put controls on email, and users will just start using other services (ftp,
http, irc, etc) to move thier little bundles of electrons.  Sounds to me
like you would be fast creating yourself a proverbial leaky dike.  Plug one
hole, and the water comes pouring out another.  Short of pulling the plug,
how do you hope to control this??

Dean Ethier
DMR Consulting Group Inc