Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: [fwd] Firewall Products: Many Not Ready For Prime Time, Study Says

From: Rick Smith <rsmith () securecomputing com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 17:29:23 -0600

At 10:39 PM -0500 3/31/98, C Matthew Curtin wrote:

It reminds me of a scene from Star Wars:

    Obi Wan: These are not the droids you're looking for.
Stormtrooper: These are not the droids we're looking for.
    Obi Wan: He can go about his business.
Stormtrooper: You can go about your business.

Reminds me of the first time I paid attention to a magazine's firewall
comparison article. They compared performance (the magazine's lab had a way
of measuring it). They compared which services could be passed through (the
magazine's lab had a way of testing it). They compared user interfaces (the
magazine's lab had a way of assessing it). But it seemed like they forgot
to assess something or other important about firewalls. Hmmm. Let me see if
I can remember what it was. Security features, maybe? Ability to block
attacks? Resistance to attack? Not the droids they were looking for, I
guess.

Rick.
smith () securecomputing com